I am finally settling into my new 9-5 schedule. It feels good and I am accomplishing a lot more.
My latest mimosa-worthy discovery is contests! It started with the Debut Dagger. The Dagger required the first 3000 words with a synopsis. I completely forgot I wanted to enter the competition until two days before the deadline, when the alert email came! I copied the first 5000 words into a new document and read, cut; reread, cut; cut and reread. I needed it tight and it needed a hook. I got it down to 3000 by removing all but the murder suspense and that which supported the plot. I was able to really see the skeleton of my book and realize how important the romance was to the story and the paranormal was to the characters.
The synopsis was hell, pure and simple. I wrote and rewrote and dove into wells of despair! I started sitting in the screen room describing the plot and characters to my dogs, they were not enjoying any of it and often walked out on me! I eventually got it done to my skeptical satisfaction. I never thought the synopsis would be so hard.
Now, all my projects have a synopsis and pitch page. I work on each or at least read them each time I sit down to write. They are evolving with and because of the book.
I find myself turning into a plotter and pulling back on the pantser.